Monday, March 15, 2010

New drawings

Last summer I was walking to work and picked up a leaf. This humble little leaf has been a wonderful source of inspiration. It is now a sad, faded little thing that I carefully keep in a cookie tin. Here's a sketch of one angle when it a freshly fallen.




I've hunted all through Central Park & have my own personal leaf-hunter in Ohio. Sadly, I've not yet found a leaf with such a beautifully ambiguous form. In the m
ean time I've been drawing trying to capture it at many different angles before it disintegrates into tine leaf-flecks. Below are a series of large scale (around 5' by 3') charcoal drawings on translucent paper. Eventually the work will go onto a light box frame. The drawing on the left is a work in progress; the two on the right are finished pieces.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful